List of All Series

A place for developers to advertise their TheTVDB.com enabled app and get help from other developers with the API.
Quayo

Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:42 am

The wiki for the API includes an example that assumes that you have a list of all series in your database to begin with.

Is there a way to get a list of all series from the API? I tried the Update function with a time of 1, but this only returned a thousand results. Best case would be one big xml dump of the database so I could rebuild it on our end, and then keep it synchronized via the Update function.
Coco
Site Admin

Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:53 pm

What example are you talking about? What you're trying to do is something the api isn't designed to do. The idea behind the site is to provide information for shows that you have. We aren't trying to provide a complete DB to every user. If you really want you are free to download one of the mySQL DB dumps and pull the information from that. The DB dumps are very infrequent (maybe once or twice a year) but it's the only way to do what you're trying to do.

http://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7550
Please don't PM me. Post in the forums instead unless there is a very good reason for a PM or I won't respond.
strada

Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:53 am

Coco wrote:What example are you talking about?
I've came to open a new topic about this, and saw this one. Here is why I need the list of all series:

I'm building a small application where user adds the shows they are watching, and I provide episode times and dates to build them a 'watchlist'. What I need is the names and ID's of the shows, so I can help users with an autocomplete field. I can match the names of the shows to show a smaller list, and when they select one of them, then I'd use the show id to get the required data.

I don't need the entire database to do this. If I have a list of shows, I don't have to hit your API with every keystroke, I can do this with a cached list, one which I can update every week or month.

So, yes, I think there is a legitimate use case for getting all show names and ID's, and there should be method for this in the API.
Coco
Site Admin

Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:52 pm

I think you misunderstood my question. He said our wiki had an example of this, it has no such example though. I was asking him to point out this example in our wiki not provide an example.

In all honesty this is a feature we may provide on the new site. It's not part of the current site and it's highly unlikely we will add it to this version of the site.
Please don't PM me. Post in the forums instead unless there is a very good reason for a PM or I won't respond.