Need help with actors endpoint for voice actors

A place for developers to advertise their TheTVDB.com enabled app and get help from other developers with the API.
damyot

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:14 pm

Hi,

When pulling actor info for an animated show, I'm not sure how to get the right character image. When I hit the /series/{id}/actors endpoint, I seemly get entries with images for other characters that actor voices in the show.

Example (Futurama):

Code: Select all

/series/73871/actors
The first 4 entries are Billy West as Phillip J. Fry. The images associated to those entries (no order) are: Zap, Zoidberg, Proffessor, Fry.

How am I supposed to pick the right image for Fry with no way to tell them apart?
ChristyEzzell
Site Admin

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:42 am

damyot wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:14 pm
Hi,

When pulling actor info for an animated show, I'm not sure how to get the right character image. When I hit the /series/{id}/actors endpoint, I seemly get entries with images for other characters that actor voices in the show.

Example (Futurama):

Code: Select all

/series/73871/actors
The first 4 entries are Billy West as Phillip J. Fry. The images associated to those entries (no order) are: Zap, Zoidberg, Proffessor, Fry.

How am I supposed to pick the right image for Fry with no way to tell them apart?
Hi,

Unfortunately, in the current v3 API there is no way to tell them apart. It is sadly one of our limitations at the moment, but this has been prioritized and will be resolved in our forthcoming v4 API, which is projected to launch several months from now.
damyot

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:58 am

That's too bad, but thank you for the clairification.

I see the characters/images correctly being used on www.thetvdb.com, any idea how that's being done?