API Updates

A place for developers to advertise their TheTVDB.com enabled app and get help from other developers with the API.
MattS

API Updates

Postby MattS » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:33 am

We'll be pushing changes to the v2 API with a few enhancements that are worth highlighting. These are not breaking changes, only additions to the data for a few endpoints.

• Added the `slug` field to the `/series/{id}` endpoint for easy linking to the new site (GitLab).
  • Full episode info for the `/series/{id}/episodes` and `/series/{id}/episodes/query` endpoints (GitLab). Note that this is NOT a replacement for the `/episode/{id}` endpoint, but should make it much easier to add series in applications.

These changes are currently live on beta (https://api-beta.thetvdb.com/swagger) and will go to production in the next day or so as long as there's no reports of issues.

wayned42

Re: API Updates

Postby wayned42 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:57 am

That will certainly help. Looking forward to that making it into production soon.

Any improvements for updates coming soon? I'd love to be able to use /series/{id}/episodes/query based on lastUpdated time, so that every time a seriesId shows up in the updates I don't have to refetch all the episode pages. Combine that with a /series/{id}/episodes/ids endpoint that returns an array of the episodeId values for the series (without paging) and it would also be easy to check for deleted episodes (which have a habit of not appearing in the update info).
Last edited by wayned42 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MattS

Postby MattS » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:00 pm

No plans for either of those, but feel free to drop tickets in GitLab and we'll see what can be done.

MattS

Postby MattS » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:56 am

These changes are now live.

bluesquirrel

Postby bluesquirrel » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:46 pm

MattS wrote: These are not breaking changes, only additions to the data for a few endpoints.

Not quite. It broke the Kodi scraper.

MattS

Postby MattS » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:10 pm

bluesquirrel wrote:
MattS wrote: These are not breaking changes, only additions to the data for a few endpoints.

Not quite. It broke the Kodi scraper.

I suppose I should have been more clear. Normal API usage should be fine, their scraper uses regexes instead of standard JSON parsing so it's brittle. That's not really something we support, nor will it ever be.

Fayne

Postby Fayne » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:13 am

any chance someone can explain this to someone with very little computer experience. every show i try to update offers the word slug when i try to select the tv show and then nothing scrapes. thanks for any help

MattS

Postby MattS » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:59 am

Fayne wrote:any chance someone can explain this to someone with very little computer experience. every show i try to update offers the word slug when i try to select the tv show and then nothing scrapes. thanks for any help

You'll want to ask that question of the folks that make the software you're using. We just provide the data for them to consume and then present to you.

bluesquirrel

Postby bluesquirrel » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:27 pm

@Fayne

I am guessing you are using Kodi as the symptoms you describe sound familiar.

If yes, then follow my post here and update... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?ti ... pid2752541

But I am guessing your add-ons should have auto-updated by now as it has been a couple of days.

Fayne

Postby Fayne » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:08 pm

Thanks for the info