How to get an API key?

A place for developers to advertise their TheTVDB.com enabled app and get help from other developers with the API.
Patrick888

How to get an API key?

Postby Patrick888 » Thu May 03, 2018 11:58 am

Older post always mention "https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=apiregister" but this seems to be outdated.
What is the current way to get an API key?

On "https://www.thetvdb.com/api" I see my username, the "Unique ID" and an empty list for the "API Keys".
On "http://platypus.thetvdb.com/eng/dashboard/account/apikeys" I actually found a way to get an API key but this seems to be a different thing.

Following Postman call returns 401 "Error": "API Key Required"
POST https://api.thetvdb.com/login
{ "apikey": "my API key from platypus.thetvdb.com" }

cunninglinguine

Re: How to get an API key?

Postby cunninglinguine » Thu May 03, 2018 12:48 pm

Wondering this myself.

The Platypus site was for betatesting the new design. It's superfluous now, I guess, since it's been rolled out to the production side. Since it's apparently a different login from the normal tvdb credentials, I tried creating a new account, but I never received a confirmation email. Not that it matters, apparently...

Z0r0b

Postby Z0r0b » Sat May 05, 2018 9:32 pm

I would love to know the answer to this question as well. My home built TVDB scraper is no longer operational since the new website launch and i can't find any way to use the API.

d92766

Postby d92766 » Sun May 06, 2018 12:55 am

As a fairly new user and I am also having difficulties finding a button or link to get an API key. Is the API closed to new developers? As Patrick888 mentioned, I log in and only see my username, unique ID, and an empty list for API Keys. This must be really obvious, but I've been searching for an hour and feel like a fool for not being able to figure out this mystery. Thanks.

cgMorpheus

Postby cgMorpheus » Sun May 06, 2018 7:45 am

Same for me and worst. I got an exception when I want activate my account on http://platypus.thetvdb.com.

ReflectionException in Container.php line 779:
Class TheTVDB\Http\Controllers\Auth/AuthController does not exist

Complete Stack Trace:
    in Container.php line 779
    at ReflectionClass->__construct('TheTVDB\Http\Controllers\Auth/AuthController') in Container.php line 779
    at Container->build('TheTVDB\Http\Controllers\Auth/AuthController', array()) in Container.php line 659
    at Container->make('TheTVDB\Http\Controllers\Auth/AuthController', array()) in Application.php line 644
    at Application->make('TheTVDB\Http\Controllers\Auth/AuthController') in ControllerDispatcher.php line 83
    at ControllerDispatcher->makeController('TheTVDB\Http\Controllers\Auth/AuthController') in ControllerDispatcher.php line 54
    at ControllerDispatcher->dispatch(object(Route), object(Request), 'TheTVDB\Http\Controllers\Auth/AuthController', 'ActivateUserAccount') in Route.php line 204
    at Route->runWithCustomDispatcher(object(Request)) in Route.php line 134
    at Route->run(object(Request)) in Router.php line 701
    at Router->Illuminate\Routing\{closure}(object(Request))
    at call_user_func(object(Closure), object(Request)) in Pipeline.php line 141
    at Pipeline->Illuminate\Pipeline\{closure}(object(Request)) in ChangeLanguage.php line 23
    at ChangeLanguage->handle(object(Request), object(Closure)) in Pipeline.php line 125
    at Pipeline->Illuminate\Pipeline\{closure}(object(Request)) in TranslationMiddleware.php line 51
    at TranslationMiddleware->handle(object(Request), object(Closure)) in Pipeline.php line 125
    at Pipeline->Illuminate\Pipeline\{closure}(object(Request))
    at call_user_func(object(Closure), object(Request)) in Pipeline.php line 101
    at Pipeline->then(object(Closure)) in Router.php line 703
    at Router->runRouteWithinStack(object(Route), object(Request)) in Router.php line 670
    at Router->dispatchToRoute(object(Request)) in Router.php line 628
    at Router->dispatch(object(Request)) in Kernel.php line 214
    at Kernel->Illuminate\Foundation\Http\{closure}(object(Request))
    at call_user_func(object(Closure), object(Request)) in Pipeline.php line 141
    at Pipeline->Illuminate\Pipeline\{closure}(object(Request)) in VerifyCsrfToken.php line 43
    at VerifyCsrfToken->handle(object(Request), object(Closure)) in VerifyCsrfToken.php line 17
    at VerifyCsrfToken->handle(object(Request), object(Closure)) in Pipeline.php line 125
    at Pipeline->Illuminate\Pipeline\{closure}(object(Request)) in ShareErrorsFromSession.php line 55
    at ShareErrorsFromSession->handle(object(Request), object(Closure)) in Pipeline.php line 125
    at Pipeline->Illuminate\Pipeline\{closure}(object(Request)) in StartSession.php line 61
    at StartSession->handle(object(Request), object(Closure)) in Pipeline.php line 125
    at Pipeline->Illuminate\Pipeline\{closure}(object(Request)) in AddQueuedCookiesToResponse.php line 36
    at AddQueuedCookiesToResponse->handle(object(Request), object(Closure)) in Pipeline.php line 125
    at Pipeline->Illuminate\Pipeline\{closure}(object(Request)) in EncryptCookies.php line 40
    at EncryptCookies->handle(object(Request), object(Closure)) in Pipeline.php line 125
    at Pipeline->Illuminate\Pipeline\{closure}(object(Request)) in CheckForMaintenanceMode.php line 42
    at CheckForMaintenanceMode->handle(object(Request), object(Closure)) in Pipeline.php line 125
    at Pipeline->Illuminate\Pipeline\{closure}(object(Request))
    at call_user_func(object(Closure), object(Request)) in Pipeline.php line 101
    at Pipeline->then(object(Closure)) in Kernel.php line 115
    at Kernel->sendRequestThroughRouter(object(Request)) in Kernel.php line 84
    at Kernel->handle(object(Request)) in index.php line 53

Maretoh

Postby Maretoh » Sun May 06, 2018 8:12 am

You shouldn't use the platypus anymore, this was only for the betatests, the new site is what you should use now.
The form to ask for an API key isn't on the new site yet, but my guess is this will come back soon.
An episode a day keeps the doctor away.

cgMorpheus

Postby cgMorpheus » Sun May 06, 2018 8:40 am

Ok, j'attends avec impatience la prochaine version de thetvdb.com.
Merci Maretoh

WyldWolf

Postby WyldWolf » Sun May 06, 2018 12:52 pm

This has nothing to do with platypus - it's about the total inability to use this site anymore since the upgrade when nothing is updated including the darn documentation. EVERY site currently refers to the now totally defunct "https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=apiregister" and the OP is totally correct in his frustration as it seems to be currently impossible to get a new key. I do see some steps on the json post info page however I would think there would be some page other than one with a "try it out" button appearing to be for pure testing to actually get a new API key generated.

I have seen some things return now like the "all seasons" link etc. so hopefully this will also be addressed very soon since API has to be in the top 2 functions being used.

palfrey

Postby palfrey » Mon May 07, 2018 7:48 am

Same problem. I never had a key for the old site and have no idea how to get one!

krage

Postby krage » Mon May 07, 2018 12:25 pm

It kinda sucks guys, but you know as well as me that we could have avoided this if we all signed up for a key earlier on and used the API instead of just scraping the website.

I'm in a situation where my media system is defunct due to the recent changes. No biggie. I'll just wait it out. Hopefully soon i'll be able to get a key and get my media system back up again using the API instead of scraping the site like an idiot. :lol: :roll: