My New App Crashes only for Older Shows...

A place for developers to advertise their TheTVDB.com enabled app and get help from other developers with the API.
Ibuprophen

My New App Crashes only for Older Shows...

Postby Ibuprophen » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:58 pm

I've been developing an app I've named "TheTVDB Connection" and, for the most part, it's running very well but, I've hit a little snag...

The issue is that the app has been crashing ONLY when attempting to retrieve/display older shows though there's no problem existing for the more recent ones at all which is very odd indeed.

For example... I've got no problems with episode details for "The Big Bang Theory" but, for older ones like "Unsolved Mysteries", the app crashes only when I only attempt to display any episode details.

I've developed a few very popular apps within the xda-developers Forum but, this type of app is a fairly new category of apps I'm working on.

Can anyone please provide me with any information as to why this would happen?

I've tried searches using various sources for quite some time with similar results but, doesn't provide me with a more precise information for what I'm looking for.

I've got a feeling that this may be a little known solution that i just can't think of as well as some keywords i may not be using to locate a better solution.

Thank you all for your time, patience and understanding with my question.
TheTVDB Connection

wayned42

Re: My New App Crashes only for Older Shows...

Postby wayned42 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:56 pm

The first thing I'd suggest checking is if your date-parsing code is failing for older dates. Depending on what you're using, you might have issues prior to Jan 1st, 1970 (the start of the "unix epoch").

Ibuprophen

Postby Ibuprophen » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:13 pm

That example is a show from the 1980s-90s...
TheTVDB Connection

Ibuprophen

Postby Ibuprophen » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:28 pm

wayned42 wrote:The first thing I'd suggest checking is if your date-parsing code is failing for older dates. Depending on what you're using, you might have issues prior to Jan 1st, 1970 (the start of the "unix epoch").

Okay, I figured it out...

The app is crashing because when it encounters any episodes that have no date entered in TheTVDB, the app, for some reason, will default the date (within the app) to Jan 1st, 1970 and when that episode is selected to view it's details it crashes while attempting to retrieve the episode details.

I'm happy to have noticed what the issue is but, now I've got to figure out how to prevent it from defaulting the episodes with a missing date and show what, if any, information that's available.

It would be great if there were any suggestions...

Thank you very much! :-)
TheTVDB Connection

Ibuprophen

Postby Ibuprophen » Sat May 26, 2018 11:50 am

Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to provide a status update regarding this specific question...

After having to set this development aside for my other projects, and support for them, I had finally resumed this project again.

It took me quite a while but, i had finally resolved the crashing issue that, ultimately, stemmed from one lonely location that had an old/incorrect format for the dates.

The shows previous to the 01-Jan-1970 was crashing the app because of this specific the Date format that I had thought I had updated already but, there was just 1 spot that wasn't updated and now "EUREKA!" the app works beautifully.

It tested excellently and is now released for others to enjoy! :-)

Thank you all very much for your time, patience and understanding with this.

~Ibuprophen
TheTVDB Connection