GET /series/{id} returning title with "en" title instead of the specified lang

A place for developers to advertise their TheTVDB.com enabled app and get help from other developers with the API.
Forum rules
This forum is now read-only. Support for TheTVDB.com is now available at https://support.thetvdb.com/
br0k3

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:12 am

Thanks for keeping us informed. :)
br0k3

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:01 pm

The issue I described still exists.

In the latest "Known Issues Log & Status" topic this thread is marked as fixed:
GET /series/{id} returning title with "en" title instead of the specified lang — Released 1/8 | related forum thread
But the issue still exists. Do I have to open a seperate thread or is this already in your ticket system? I guess these are two different bugs.
appan

Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:52 am

Issue still persists. All Norwegian shows (language ID: 9) returns English title instead of Norwegian:

Code: Select all

curl -X GET --header 'Accept: application/json' --header 'Accept-Language: no' --header 'Authorization: Bearer [TOKEN]' 'https://api.thetvdb.com/series/300820'
Response is in English, instead of Norwegian:

{
    "data": {
        "id": 300820,
        "seriesId": "",
        "seriesName": "Adam searches Eva",
        "aliases": [],
        "season": "1",
        "poster": "posters/300820-1.jpg",
        "banner": "",
        "fanart": "fanart/original/300820-1.jpg",
        "status": "Ended",
        "firstAired": "2015-09-17",
        "network": "TVNorge",
        "networkId": "367",
        "runtime": "1",
        "language": "en",
        "genre": [
            "Reality"
        ],
        "overview": "Norwegian realityshow",
        "lastUpdated": 1577492822,
        "airsDayOfWeek": "Thursday",
        "airsTime": "9:30 PM",
        "rating": null,
        "imdbId": "",
        "zap2itId": "",
        "added": "2015-09-17 18:05:43",
        "addedBy": 46732,
        "siteRating": 0,
        "siteRatingCount": 0,
        "slug": "300820"
    }
}
Gyldendahl

Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:18 pm

API still returns English info when requesting specifically Norwegian, like the post above.
This seems limited to Norwegian, because other nordic languages return correct.

Can anyone take a look at this?
Gyldendahl

Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:15 pm

Okay, I have researched this a bit further, and it seems that you have mixed up the different Norwegian language codes internally in the API.

The API returns the following as valid info,

"id": 9,
      "abbreviation": "no",
      "name": "Norsk bokmål",
      "englishName": "Norwegian"
But the correct language code for "Norsk Bokmål" is 'nb', not 'no', and when I use the language code 'nb' in the API requests, I get the correct Norwegian info in response.

You seem to have half-way changed from Norsk 'no' to Norsk Bokmål 'nb', when upgrading the API.
ChristyEzzell
Site Admin

Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:16 pm

Gyldendahl wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:15 pm
Okay, I have researched this a bit further, and it seems that you have mixed up the different Norwegian language codes internally in the API.

The API returns the following as valid info,

"id": 9,
      "abbreviation": "no",
      "name": "Norsk bokmål",
      "englishName": "Norwegian"
But the correct language code for "Norsk Bokmål" is 'nb', not 'no', and when I use the language code 'nb' in the API requests, I get the correct Norwegian info in response.

You seem to have half-way changed from Norsk 'no' to Norsk Bokmål 'nb', when upgrading the API.
Hi,

Yes, you are technically right. In the past, we actually stored both no and nb previously and a user pointed out that other users were mixing stuff up between the choices. The decision was made to combine both no and nb into a single language called Norwegian (no) and put all the records together into that. I've run it past our devs and I think we will stick to this decision. Apologies for the confusion.
Gyldendahl

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:58 am

ChristyEzzell wrote:
Hi,

Yes, you are technically right. In the past, we actually stored both no and nb previously and a user pointed out that other users were mixing stuff up between the choices. The decision was made to combine both no and nb into a single language called Norwegian (no) and put all the records together into that. I've run it past our devs and I think we will stick to this decision. Apologies for the confusion.
Hi,

Thank you for responding to this.

This is all well and good, but is it not a bug that I do not get the correct Norwegian info when using 'no', but instead get the correct info when using 'nb'?
Especially since the API returns 'no' as the valid abbreviation.

Do I start using 'nb' instead of 'no'?
ChristyEzzell
Site Admin

Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:12 am

Gyldendahl wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:58 am
ChristyEzzell wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

Thank you for responding to this.

This is all well and good, but is it not a bug that I do not get the correct Norwegian info when using 'no', but instead get the correct info when using 'nb'?
Especially since the API returns 'no' as the valid abbreviation.

Do I start using 'nb' instead of 'no'?
You should use "no."
Gyldendahl

Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:21 am

ChristyEzzell wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:12 am
You should use "no."
Then it is a bug that is known and will be fixed, that it returns english info when I use 'no'?
ChristyEzzell
Site Admin

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:42 am

I'l ticket this. I see translations in NO against the series and the first three episodes.