Correct and most efficient way to make use of the API?

A place for developers to advertise their TheTVDB.com enabled app and get help from other developers with the API.
remiX

Correct and most efficient way to make use of the API?

Postby remiX » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:15 pm

Hey guys,

I'm new here to the forums (didn't even know there was one until recently xD) but I've been using the API for my own personal program for around 3 years now.

So my question is basically in the topic title but to expand a little:
How exactly should the process of storing the data on series be? Should any series that the program intersects with be saved into my database?

I have read http://thetvdb.com/wiki/index.php?title=Programmers_API thoroughly but still do not understand it 100%

Let me give an example of how my program works (steps are from the link above):
  • User searches for a show
  • Make use of Step 3a to get list of different series which match the search criteria
  • User selects one of the displayed shows
  • Data is saved in DB as UserID, TvdbID
  • Show information (showinfo, episodeinfo, poster etc) is saved locally in C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming

And that show information is what is read when the user wants to view the show etc. No information on the actual show is saved in my db.
I know it's not the best but that's how I made it ~2 years ago because lazy ;).

So basically what I want to know is how should i change it up. As I should really be using the previousTime etc to know what needs to be updated and all.

I hope this all makes sense, I'm not very good at explaining :|

Coco
Site Admin

Re: Correct and most efficient way to make use of the API?

Postby Coco » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:13 pm

You're linking to the old API, you shouldn't really be using that at all anymore. There is a note right at the top of that link that says the same thing.

As for what you save locally that is entirely up to you. The general idea is you'd save everything you ever scan but ultimately it's a decision you as the developer have to make.
Please don't PM me. Post in the forums instead unless there is a very good reason for a PM or I won't respond.

remiX

Postby remiX » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:34 pm

Coco wrote:You're linking to the old API, you shouldn't really be using that at all anymore. There is a note right at the top of that link that says the same thing.

As for what you save locally that is entirely up to you. The general idea is you'd save everything you ever scan but ultimately it's a decision you as the developer have to make.

Oh wow, I thought the current one was api v2. I'll definitely update it to the new one. Why have they changed to JSON now? :)

Okay thanks, I'll try different things and see what works the best.

RubenRoend

Postby RubenRoend » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:01 pm

Sounds like you're trying to do something that will make things more convenient for everyone.

I'm a fan of that, so good luck to you. And yeah with the most up to date API you should be good to go.

remiX

Postby remiX » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:48 pm

RubenRoend wrote:Sounds like you're trying to do something that will make things more convenient for everyone.

I'm a fan of that, so good luck to you. And yeah with the most up to date API you should be good to go.

Yeah I am basically.

I'm in the process of changing to the new API - so far it's going slow but getting there, first time using JSON in .NET environment

Return to “Developers”