TV Guides scans from the late 70's to today (US/CAN)

What shows do you like or dislike?
What about certain actors?
Any upcoming shows you're looking forward to?
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SERIES REQUESTS HERE.
Use the appropriate forum.
Requests posted here are subject to immediate deletion.
danyboy666

TV Guides scans from the late 70's to today (US/CAN)

Postby danyboy666 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi,

I've come across this site which i find incredibly useful when trying to find old shows broadcast dates. This site has TV Guides scans that dates back to 1978 so I taught i'd share it here. Ths list contain alot if not most of US shows also. Of course these scans are in french only but i think it would be useful anyhow. http://collections.banq.qc.ca/ark:/52327/2201284#.

All lists are in PDF formats and the site easy to look thru. I've been able to construct data list for shows which were aired only once and for which no reference could be found anywhere on the net. Since it contains a great deal of data from US Networks (eastern/central mostly) i think this could be very useful for anyone who's looking for old shows broadcast dates.

If the site isn't displaying for any reason outside of Canada please request in this thread and i'll download it for you.

I'm all about finding the proper data. These sometimes may be hard to come by sometimes but taking some time to sort and actually find the proper data is actually really gratifying for a tv fan.

Greets

djcode
Brony
Brony

Re: TV Guides scans from the late 70's to today (US/CAN)

Postby djcode » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:30 pm

I really should scan in my Fall Preview TVGuide issues from 1982-1986, but it's soooo time consuming... and ruins the magazine.
All PM's will be ignored unless I'm bored, so stop sending them!

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:22 pm

Anything with DC or Marvel characters, or big pop-culture references (around the time, Knight Rider / Magnum P.I. / Miami Vice / Punky Brewster / maybe Golden Girls), put that shit in a keepcase and NEVER touch it again. Others tend to be relatively worthless even with time.

Also, thank you for the contribution, Danny! :)
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

djcode
Brony
Brony

Postby djcode » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:26 pm

DarklightIndigo wrote:Anything with DC or Marvel characters, or big pop-culture references (around the time, Knight Rider / Magnum P.I. / Miami Vice / Punky Brewster / maybe Golden Girls), put that shit in a keepcase and NEVER touch it again. Others tend to be relatively worthless even with time.

So, basically all of them I have :D Those were good years for TV, a lot of the classics started in those years.
All PM's will be ignored unless I'm bored, so stop sending them!

danyboy666

Postby danyboy666 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:52 pm

DarklightIndigo wrote:Anything with DC or Marvel characters, or big pop-culture references (around the time, Knight Rider / Magnum P.I. / Miami Vice / Punky Brewster / maybe Golden Girls), put that shit in a keepcase and NEVER touch it again. Others tend to be relatively worthless even with time.

I saw some of those in there. I didn't go all the way back to check from 1978 but from what i've seen everything that was broadcasted on NBC, ABC, PBS, CBS and as the years go by some other cable stations are in there like Discovery channel , TLC and others in the like.

here's a little channel list from those earlier years

Code: Select all

CBFT (R C I. Montréal
WCAX (CBS). Burlington,
CFCM (TVA). Québec
DCBOT (CBC). Ottawa
CKMI (CBC). Ouebec
WPTZ (NBC), Plottsburgh. N.Y.
CBMT (CBC). Montréal
Global, Outaouais
CHLT (TVA). Sherbrooke
WVNY Wotertown. N.Y.
CJOH (CTV), Cornwoll
WMTW (ABC). Poland Spnng. Me
WROC (CBS). Rochester N.Y.
CHEM (TVA). Trois Rivières
CBOFT (R -C ). Ottawa
CKSH (R -C ). Sherbrooke
CFTM (TVA). Montreol
WHEC (NBC). Rochester N Y
CBVT (R -C ). Québec
CFCF (CTV). Montréal
CKTM(R-C ). Trois Rivières
CJOH (CTV). Ottawa
WOKR (ABC). Rochester N Y.
CIVQ(R Q ). Québec
CFKM (Quatre Saisons). T Rivières
CIVM(R Q ). Montréal
WVN Y (ABC). Burlington
CIVS (R Q ). Sherbrooke
TVOntario
CFKS(TQS). Sherbrooke
CIVO(R.-Q ), Hull
VERMONT ETV (PBS). Burlington
CFJP (Quatre Saisons). Montréal
 CHOT (TVA). Hull
CIVC(R.-Q ). Trois Rivières
CFGS (Quatre Saisons). Hull
WCFE (PBS). Plottsburgh N.Y
TV5
MusiquePlus
Canal Famille
Météomédia
Réseau des Sports
tsn
YouthTV
Super; Ecran (payant)
The Movie Network (payant)

All major US networks are there and most of it got descriptions for what's on but translated in french. I still think this could be a good tool when there's nothing much from that era to be found on internet.

Some data may be missing but it's better than rely on memory :P

djcode wrote:I really should scan in my Fall Preview TVGuide issues from 1982-1986, but it's soooo time consuming... and ruins the magazine.

Yeah it really is. I've numerized some ham radio books in the past. Even though they weren't that many pages (maybe around 75 pages each) it does take quite a long time with a standard scanner like mine. Pretty sure they have some nice professional equipement though at the national archives to do this.

danyboy666

Postby danyboy666 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:07 am

DarklightIndigo wrote:

Yeah i figure i'd try to be more helpful than bitch around :P

danyboy666

Postby danyboy666 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:45 am

djcode wrote:

So, basically all of them I have :D Those were good years for TV, a lot of the classics started in those years.

I see some there is some interest in this. If you guys need me to pull some data for some shows which currently have no dates or other data missing on the site you can post request in here and i'll get that data for you if possible.

As for Knight Rider / Magnum P.I. / Miami Vice / Punky Brewster / Golden Girls all those data are already filled on TVDB though :P

The dates are certainly available in those tv guides but sometime episodes description arn't sadly. Still i think with whatever data is available will definitly be good contribution to the site.

Thanks

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:56 am

Eh, I was making a suggestion for collectors of the physical guides, but your idea is good, too. :)
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

danyboy666

Postby danyboy666 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:57 am

DarklightIndigo wrote:Eh, I was making a suggestion for collectors of the physical guides, but your idea is good, too. :)

Haha i figured that once i checked what was on the site :P But yeah the guides are already scanned and available online but might not be available outside QC. Kinda why i offered help for it ;)

Good night Dark. time to go watch some docs :D