The new update has serious problems with Chinese translation.

All translations should be posted here as they tend to get buried in the main series forum.
Forum rules
This forum is now read-only. Support for TheTVDB.com is now available at https://support.thetvdb.com/
iviso

Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:39 pm

The new update adds several Chinese variants, which is great, but there is a serious problem. It seems to use Chinese-Cantonese (粵語) to overwrite the previous default Chinese. But Cantonese is only used in Hong Kong, And the previous default Chinese on TVDB is mainly the translation habits of Chinese-China (大陆简体). please modify it.

Here is the solution:

Chinese - Cantonese (粵語) =》 Chinese-China (大陆简体)

Chinese - China (广东话) =》 Chinese - Cantonese (粵語)
iviso

Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:57 pm

In addition, “广东话“ and “粵語“ actually have the same meaning in Chinese, They all mean Cantonese in English translation, but “粵語” is more accurate in Chinese.
You can modify it according to the solution I mentioned above.
iviso

Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:27 pm

After following the above modification, this also corresponds to the English abbreviation on TVDB.

zho = Chinese-China (大陆简体)

yue = Chinese - Cantonese (粵語)
LightYearsBehind

Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:30 pm

I mostly concur with @iviso besides one thing, I think most (existing) chinese translations are done in Traditional Chinese (繁體) instead of Simplified Chinese (简体).

Therefore, I would propose the following changes.

Chinese - Cantonese (粵語) -> Chinese - Traditional (繁體)
Chinese - China (广东话) -> Chinese - Cantonese (粵語)
Chinese - Taiwan (臺灣國語) -> Chinese - Simplified (简体)

What do you think?
iviso

Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:37 pm

Are you kinding me?

1.4 billion Chinese in mainland China use simplified Chinese.
7 million Singaporeans use simplified Chinese.
Malaysian Chinese use simplified Chinese.
Almost all Chinese in the world use simplified Chinese...

Only 24 million Taiwanese use traditional Chinese.

Do you want to tell me that 24 million is greater than 1.5 billion?

Please go to the wiki to view
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplifie ... characters
LightYearsBehind

Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:46 pm

Chill, I am just bringing this up as I saw most of the Chinese translations on TVDB are done in Chinese Traditional, whereas TMDB have most of the Chinese translations done in Chinese Simplified.

Perhaps I don't see enough translations here, the only thing I can confirm is it's definitely not done in Chinese Cantonese.

Are most of the translations you see here done in Chinese Simplified?
iviso

Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:59 pm

LightYearsBehind wrote:
Chill, I am just bringing this up as I saw most of the Chinese translations on TVDB are done in Chinese Traditional, whereas TMDB have most of the Chinese translations done in Chinese Simplified.

Perhaps I don't see enough translations here, the only thing I can confirm is it's definitely not done in Chinese Cantonese.

Are most of the translations you see here done in Chinese Simplified?

Most of what I saw was done in Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese was mainly focused on Japanese dramas. (Because Taiwan was ruled by Japan for 50 years, Taiwanese are keen to modify these things.)

In addition, adding regions is the most accurate approach.
For example, Hong Kong and Taiwan both use traditional Chinese, but the names of many TV dramas are translated significantly different in Hong Kong and Taiwan.
That's why I proposed to use Chinese-China (大陆简体) instead of Chinese - Simplified (简体). This is also the practice of almost all multilingual websites such as wiki and tmdb

Only need to modify these 2 places.

Chinese - Cantonese (粵語) =》 Chinese - China (大陆简体)

Chinese - China (广东话) =》 Chinese - Cantonese (粵語)
iviso

Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:04 pm

In addition, when many third-party software calls TVDB data, the default simplified Chinese is the data of the quoted “zho” (such as plex). If “zho” is changed to traditional Chinese, it will cause a lot of confusion.
iviso

Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:38 pm

LightYearsBehind wrote:
TMDB has always had many Chinese variants. The content of Traditional Chinese on TMDB you see is far less than that of Simplified Chinese, which just proves that the number of people editing content in Simplified Chinese is far greater than those using Traditional Chinese. Because most volunteers will edit the same content on TVDB and TMDB at the same time.
iviso

Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:26 pm

The problem has been solved, please close this title