Update on Version 3

Updates on the November 2019 rollout of Version 3, including testing information, TheTVDB Bible, bugs, questions, etc.
Forum rules
Please search this thread for existing bugs before posting a new one. When posting a new bug, please start a new thread.
If you're looking for API support, please take a look at our Developers forum.
Mistywing
Site Moderator

Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:07 am

UX and UI will get a pass, but obviously everything must be working first and it isn't. I have a few things I'd like to say about it myself but in my opinion there are bigger priorities.
All the "Whoops, something went wrong" has to go away first.
kipek

Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:04 pm

Mistywing wrote:
UX and UI will get a pass, but obviously everything must be working first and it isn't. I have a few things I'd like to say about it myself but in my opinion there are bigger priorities.
Hi! I want to report a bug of this kind. Open a series with a numerical name (like 1990, 1994 or 1999), click on 'Sort Actors' and you will get it.

I also reported a similar error (404 The page you're looking for isn't here.) two weeks ago also related to these series, and I even found a solution. Please can someone add it to the Known Issues List?
NMe

Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:46 pm

Mistywing wrote:
My point is that this should have gotten a pass before this version was released. Why is UX an afterthought for a literal crowdsourced data platform? It should be the first priority.

Given the state of the site right now I don't think anyone (me included) is going to blame anyone for extinguishing the actual fires first, but I do feel you guys need to be aware that this current intended state of the software (ignoring the bugs) is not a good iteration on the service nor is it something that is stimulating anyone to help enter data.

Having said all that, I'll trust that you see that some improvements will be needed considering you have your own things to say about UX, so I'll be waiting patiently to see what happens on the subject later on once all the fires are out.
Mistywing
Site Moderator

Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:29 pm

NMe wrote:
My point is that this should have gotten a pass before this version was released. Why is UX an afterthought for a literal crowdsourced data platform? It should be the first priority.
An alternate explanation could be that they thought this was good but they were wrong. Programmer's UI is what you could call it.
kipek wrote:
Please can someone add it to the Known Issues List?
I left messages for both.
austinbest

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:46 pm

Mistywing wrote:
NMe wrote:
An alternate explanation could be that they thought this was good but they were wrong. Programmer's UI is what you could call it.
kipek wrote:
I wouldn't even call it a programmers UI (comparing this to that kind of UI is actually degrading it which is pretty hard to do :lol:) as those actually work, they are just not user friendly at all. In this case, you have neither working nor user friendly so im not sure what kinda UI to call it except what it is, :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: broken. This kind of change should have had ALOT more regression testing, especially considering it is 100% based on users using it. Instead a UI that had as much broken as working and became harder to use while leaving out important fields and information that was available before is what was pushed to the live env. :oops:
eherberg

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:26 pm

I don't see where I'm spending any more time than I previously did in making my entries. (Or when compared to any of the other databases where I also make those entries). I'm still going up only 1 level to make additional entries -- same as before.
Wehrmacht

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:52 pm

eherberg wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:39 am
It was consistently seen where people would put in DVD numbering prior to any DVD releases even being made.
Yeah, unfortunately the world has moved on since you formulated that bias.

In 2019/20, we now have these things called Digital Copies, OTT Broadcasting, and Streaming Service Back Catalogs, where entire seasons of television can be viewed and even purchased online long before any physical "optical" media is ever released.

When indexing the online versions, the producer's intended order is typically used (being part of the content license). Therefore, TVDB's so-called "DVD" order is FAR more likely to be relevant in a VERY short period of time after an original airing.

I've also heard that some Anime streaming services can present content in Absolute Order as well, including new episodes, so both DVD & Absolute ordering need to be completed AS SOON AS POSSIBLE to match up with online content delivery.

Waiting for something to meander along the airwaves before it's counted as legitimate is such a 2010 concept.

So, it would be fantastic if the changing landscape of TV was adequately adapted to and catered for by this site's officials.
eherberg

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:52 am

The use of the new alternate numbering can be used for flexible online catalog numbering -- keeping a separate listing from the physical media ordering. This is already being done with some Netflix series repackaging.
kipek

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:52 pm

Mistywing wrote:
kipek wrote:
Thanks. I noticed two more bugs, again with series having a numerical name:
1) On series page, if I click on 'VIEW ALL CAST AND CREW' I get a 404 error.
2) Both on series and seasons pages, if I click on 'Add Artwork' I get a Whoops error for each of the five choices (Background, Banner, Icon, Panel, Poster).

You can reproduce these errors with the series I linked in my previous message.