Compatiblity

Bugs, comments, questions, and complaints regarding v3 of the site, launched June 2019.
Jeff_Haas

Compatiblity

Postby Jeff_Haas » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:45 pm

Just checking something...I haven't been able to find info on this, but I assume that version 3 will eventually replace version 2, and any app that accesses the data will continue to run without interruption.

I'm using SageTV, it has a plugin that retrieves images for its UI. Occasionally I've contributed new pictures to series that needed a little help.

Is there documentation somewhere that describes the update plan?

Imzadi
Site Moderator

Re: Compatiblity

Postby Imzadi » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:00 pm

I might be wrong, but every program or app that uses thetvdb get their information via api. V3 is only a update of the website, not the api.

szsori
Site Admin

Postby szsori » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:56 am

Kind of. v3 is an entirely new database structure as well, and as a result the API needed to be updated to work from it. This work completed about a week ago and we reached out to a couple of the bigger API users to ask them to perform some tests on their end. We'll resolve any issues by the launch, and that will ensure full backwards compatibility.

The search part of the API will improve as well as a result of this, since it will rely on Algolia rather than Sphinx and mysql fulltext search.

Jeff_Haas

Postby Jeff_Haas » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:49 am

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear.

bluesquirrel

Postby bluesquirrel » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:04 am

szsori wrote:Kind of. v3 is an entirely new database structure as well, and as a result the API needed to be updated to work from it. This work completed about a week ago and we reached out to a couple of the bigger API users to ask them to perform some tests on their end. We'll resolve any issues by the launch, and that will ensure full backwards compatibility.

The search part of the API will improve as well as a result of this, since it will rely on Algolia rather than Sphinx and mysql fulltext search.

What time frame for the Live roll out of the new v3 site? Particularly interested in the date the API updates will be required by users.

Are we talking weeks or months?

szsori
Site Admin

Postby szsori » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:52 pm

v3 should launch within the next couple weeks. The API will only include backward functionality at that time, so won't require any updates from any systems. API changes making use of new site functionality will be added to the existing API over the month after that, but full API support of new functionality (what we'd call API v4) will likely be a couple months out... we need to make sure the structure and functionality of the site is pinned down and stable, and then we'll be working toward that.

bluesquirrel

Postby bluesquirrel » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:15 pm

szsori wrote:v3 should launch within the next couple weeks. The API will only include backward functionality at that time, so won't require any updates from any systems. API changes making use of new site functionality will be added to the existing API over the month after that, but full API support of new functionality (what we'd call API v4) will likely be a couple months out... we need to make sure the structure and functionality of the site is pinned down and stable, and then we'll be working toward that.

Thanks @szori,

Over here at Kodi, we will need to start looking at how your changes will affect our scrapers. I'll bring this to the attention of the scraper developers (me not being one of them :) ). Is there is any additional information you can point me to? Location of the new API code and upcoming changes?

Thanks.

szsori
Site Admin

Postby szsori » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:21 pm

I'm not sure who the current devs are on the scraper, so just have them email me: [email protected]. The last person I dealt with directly at Kodi was Jonathon Marshall. :) We sent an email to a couple of the other dev teams that I can pass along to them. Thanks!

bluesquirrel

Postby bluesquirrel » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:46 pm

szsori wrote:I'm not sure who the current devs are on the scraper, so just have them email me: [email protected]. The last person I dealt with directly at Kodi was Jonathon Marshall. :) We sent an email to a couple of the other dev teams that I can pass along to them. Thanks!

Thanks, I have PM'd you.

anthonylavado

Postby anthonylavado » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:02 pm

We here at Jellyfin are also going to be monitoring the situation. Should we e-mail as well?