How to add episodes that don't have English name?

Discuss the new site and features.
Forum rules
Updates. Issues. Resolutions.

If you don't see it here, feel free to ask!
Please note that the new site is in its early infancy, and asking the same question will not lead to different results.
That said, a number of features will be returning as soon as the site is stable and reliable.
chanwilson01

How to add episodes that don't have English name?

Postby chanwilson01 » Thu May 03, 2018 6:06 am

Hi guys, first day onto the new TVDB site trying to update a on going Hong Kong TV program that I've been working on since the first episode.

The new site looks great but very confusing to edit.
I was trying to add a new episode, figured out how to do it but on the "Add" page it says I can only enter all the info in English :o :o :o

This is the program on TVDB
https://www.thetvdb.com/series/343687

This is the official page that I reference from, which is in Chinese!!
http://programme.tvb.com/variety/younga ... s/episode/

How should I add episodes from now on??? Feels a bit frustrated with the new site and rules... :( :(

tmcla10

Re: How to add episodes that don't have English name?

Postby tmcla10 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:40 am

I have the same problem for a French TV show! Help us please (it's a daily airing show so I'll quickly have a lot of delay...)

madu

Postby madu » Thu May 03, 2018 4:41 pm

I also stumbled on this!

I manage a few german series that exist in german only, so there is no english version.
Now on the new mask, when I want to add an episode, it says that I HAVE TO enter title (and description?) in english first, then later add translation. But there is no english title/description of a serie that only exists in german!

Do I really have to translate this things to english by myself first?
Since english is not my first language, this would be a huge pain and probably result in bad translations too!

It says, if I dont add it in english first, it will be removed.
Really??

tmcla10

Postby tmcla10 » Fri May 04, 2018 9:45 am

It would be really great if you could fix it, please!

chanwilson01

Postby chanwilson01 » Sat May 05, 2018 12:32 am

Do we not have an answer for this???

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Sat May 05, 2018 12:47 am

As a workaround, I just confirmed that you can enter a dummy record, then edit it to reflect the correct information after the fact. The entries only demand some sort of title and a First Aired date for the initial creation, so for example:

Episode Number: 123
First Aired: (choose any date)
)SAVE(

Then, you should have Edit Episode and Manage Translations available to you.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

chanwilson01

Postby chanwilson01 » Sat May 05, 2018 2:48 am

That's what I've been doing for now, but this make it a 3-step process. Add Ep as English -> back to Season page and go "Manage Translation" -> Scroll down to bottom to Chinese (in my case) and now I can add what I would be able to do from step 1 from old site!!!
ps. In fact the old site we would be able add new ep from step-0, right from the Season page! instead of now we have to click "Add Episode"

This is ok if only adding/editing 1 entry but if we have to enter (backtrack) multiple entries is gonna be an nightmare....................

Could be have an option to set default/original language so all new entries are defaulted to that language?????

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Sat May 05, 2018 4:14 am

I believe this is planned to be fixed soon.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

madu

Postby madu » Sat May 05, 2018 7:31 pm

DarklightIndigo wrote:As a workaround, I just confirmed that you can enter a dummy record, then edit it to reflect the correct information after the fact.

So just to confirm:
We can safely ignore that warning

without fear, that it will be deleted?

I double the concern, that everything is much more complicated (more clicks, more scrolling) on this new page.
It look nice, no question, but for a site like thetvdb, which is mostly a front-end of a DB, functionality and simplicity should be more important then design.
I hope, lots of the simplicity of the old page will come back once things are running stable.

chanwilson01

Postby chanwilson01 » Sat May 05, 2018 11:32 pm

Totally agree with Madu!!!
This is a practical site. most people on there are editing or looking up info.
Simplicity, efficiency and usability should be the priority, not the design and look
I don't really care how the site look as long as its easy to do what I need to do, this new site is the total opposite :( :(
I never complaint about the old site but as soon as the V2 comes online I've been on this forum more than ever trying to find solutions that I never had before.........

I'll make an example,
The other site https://www.themoviedb.org/ has a similar design of the V2 of this site
And I've only been on there a couple of times trying to edit/add info and have stopped going back again because it's very confusing and lack of efficiency...
And now the TVDB has gone to the same design and direction....
I'm quite disappointed and not sure how long I'd be able to stay active until I've had enough....