For the love of God please add Latin America Spanish

Discuss the new site and features.
Forum rules
Updates. Issues. Resolutions.

If you don't see it here, feel free to ask!
Please note that the new site is in its early infancy, and asking the same question will not lead to different results.
That said, a number of features will be returning as soon as the site is stable and reliable.
WebItOS

For the love of God please add Latin America Spanish

Postby WebItOS » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:40 pm

I've set up a home media server for my family and while I'm comfortable with English, they rather prefer Spanish translated movies.
These movies are mostly translated in Mexico with familiar accent voices.

Spain is a totally different country with different culture, a completely different jargon, accent, sounds, but most of all, the worst non-sense translating decisions (some are translated, some are spain-pronounced as they english-based writing would sound read in spanish, etc)

Case in point: Seinfeld season 7 episode 8:
- Original Title: "The pool guy"
- Latin America: "El tipo de la pileta" (literally, the pool guy)
- Spain: "El tio del billar" (the billiard's uncle) << Doesn't make any sense, whoever translated it didn't care to figure out if pool meant pool table or water pool. In Spain they use uncle as "guy", "dude", but nowhere in the 19 million square kms in Latin America do we use that word.

This is the only thing that has made my server experience painful when reading all that Spain-originated non-sense.
Please allow for language variations, such as Spanish (Spain), Spanish (LatinAmerica) / for releases all across LA. Yes it is the same language, yet a totally different culture, accent, and fondness for good translations.

WebItOS

Re: For the love of God please add Latin America Spanish

Postby WebItOS » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:45 pm

Plus, LA has a population of 650 million people, whereas Spain is just near 45 million. This change would benefit a lot whole more people.

DarklightIndigo
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby DarklightIndigo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:07 am

I don't disagree.

What I'd really like to see done here is an implementation of ISO language + country domain (en-us, es-mx, et al) with aliases from the old LIDs to their respective entries. Doesn't seem like it should be so difficult on the SQL backend, but I've no idea how the existing PHP is handling languages.
Strangers are just the friends we haven't met yet.

moisesleyva8847x

Postby moisesleyva8847x » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:47 am

I agree with WebItOS. I'm Spanish and I know how he feels as I am in the other side.

We have a different way of speaking. And it is true that in the most of the cases latin american translations try to be the most accurate. I fell that specially latelly Spanish translations take less effort in having literal translations.

I think that maybe it's a problem that as far as I know there is not a track language available for Latin Spanish for audio or subtitles in the video containers. I manage videos with several audio tracks and it's a pain when I have to manage with both Spanish and Latin Spanish.