It is currently Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Can I fix Jeopardy?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:42 pm 
Former Moderator

Done, Your making awesome progress.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:22 pm 

Thanks. Is there anyway I could finish this via a dump of some kinds instead of having to through the web interface? I can scrape the j-archive site and write a program to generate SQL, CSV, XML, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:39 am 

Sadly, no. We have no method of importing dumps. Trust me, I wish we did.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:32 pm 
Site Moderator

I was wondering if anything is currently happening with this show? Is ajayrockrock still working on this? After looking at the first couple of seasons I was wondering why thee isn't set way to enter the data? I see seasons with the name field filled in with the date of the show, I see the name field with the names of contestants and I see the name field filled with a title of a show. Which way should this be? Any ideas?

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:20 am 

Game shows episodes are rarely named anything more than Show #x in production, so if anything I prefer the method which lists the contestants on the show as the title, as it provides more information about the episode rather than redundantly repeating the air date.

Games shows need a lot of love on TVDB, and being of a throw away nature, will be hard to find reliable information on. Jeopardy! has a summer hiatus and follows similar production cycles as Wheel of Fortune and therefore doesn't make sense being displayed as a yearly season. That being said, I couldn't even begin to produce a reliable episode list for you to work from without huge gaps due to lack of information. All I can tell you is that a jeopardy "season" usually begins in September and ends in August or July, and they are currently on Season 30, but they're only counting the 1984 revival and not the original with Art Flemming. (source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAKTGcih2cM).

I browsed the Jeopardy Archive mentioned in the original post and it is probably the most accurate and comprehensive listing of Jeopardy shows that I have seen, but it is still incomplete in many areas. It's a shame ajrockrock gave up on his project, but given the daunting task in front of him I don't blame him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:03 pm 

FYI, I'm working on fleshing out the missing Jeopardy! data, and as such I've added a few missing/truncated years, and made a bunch of fixes (I'm working on the 2000s so far). The 2013 year had a few too many episodes (some from the break), so there are a few empty episodes at the end of the year now (awaiting eventual deletion).

As for episode titles, is there a consensus that we should be using the contestant names? I'd be glad to change the episodes over from dates to contestants if that is what folks would like to see.

My $0.02 on years vs seasons: I've noticed that there are some years that get a repeat of a particular tournament due to it occurring late in one season, and early in the following season (tournaments are not repeated in a particular season). As such, I kinda like the idea of switching to seasons. The show's set often changes at the start of a season too, which makes it easier for any artwork to match what's going on. If we do decide to change, I'd suggest that we create a 2nd show for the early (pre-syndication) show (ala "Jeopardy! (1964)") and then switch the seasons from 1984 .. 2014 to seasons 1 .. 30 in the current show -- is there a behind-the-scenes way of moving anything around?

That said, I'm also fine leaving things as years if we'd prefer to just leave it alone. I'm currently just fixing the data in the year format, but noting when the season changes in the data itself.

..wayne..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:44 pm 

wayned42 wrote:
I'd be glad to change the episodes over from dates to contestants if that is what folks would like to see.
I've been trying this out in the latest seasons I've been fixing, and I'm liking it better than the date as the summary (though, obviously, any episode that has unknown contestants still gets a date summary). If anyone wants to see how this looks on a full year, check out the (newly added) year 2000 and see what you think.