TheTVDB.com

Online TV Database
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suggest reading
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:04 pm 

I want to become a productive member of thetvdb.com. I've been trying to read the "do's and don't" I've read:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4076 <-site rules
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9271 <-Sources Update - March, 2012
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7603 <-Specials: The Definitive Guide
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6308 <-Series-Specific Information

But that still leaves me with lots of questions. Like what make something official. For example if a show has no clear cut name for it's episodes how is the name used on the site selected. I've posted a few one off questions as they come to me but want to reach out and see if there was any more documentation i could read. I've read a lot of posts and it seams the mods get very angry with people changing things they shouldn't maybe some better guides/documentation would help?

P.S.
Over all big fan of the site, just wish fewer shows were locked

Post subject: Re: Suggest reading
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:08 pm 
Forum Owner

Could you please give an example of a series where there are no official titles available?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:31 pm 

hikaricore wrote:
Could you please give an example of a series where there are no official titles available?

Well, as I've already posted about shows like DBZ. They have multiple titles. They have a translated title and a dubbed title. Both have been released on DVDs from funimation who translated the show for cartoon network. How is it determined which is more official? Even shows like Rocky and Bullwinkle have debated episode names since no title card was used. Some places have them split by story arch some have them split by what was said at the end of the show.

I'm not trying to rock the boat or get you to change what's been done i just want to know for going forward. So i don't bother you with more posts =P

If i can think of other questions i might of had i can post them here, instead of making new threads.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:38 pm 
Forum Owner

Technically we should use the aired english titles for the series as opposed to the dvd titles as this is how they were aired (we are TheTVDb after all) but honestly it doesn't make that big of a difference either way. For such a large series it's just a pain in the ass to go through and check every episode.. ofc obviously we can't even unlock it to allow users to do it considering how many times people have screwed it up before I had to fix the damn thing in the past. As for Rocky & Bullwinkle if the episodes/segments themselves didn't have titles at the time of air, then a subsequent source such as vhs or dvd title information would be used for them. That's not to say for example if they had originally been titled something generic like Episode 1, Episode 2, etc like some foreign series are that we would change to the dvd titles upon release. I'm just saying that in lieu of valid original titles that we'd have to use the next thing available. Then if there weren't dvd or vhs titles for them we'd move on to internet sources such as the ones we list in the source thread in order of acceptability. At that point if there still weren't viable titles obscure and uncited sources such as fan sites would be considered. I wish that the answers were simpler, but everything here is a process and it sometimes can get quite crazy especially with older series where little to no info can be found through normal methods. Hope this makes sense and feel free to ask any further questions in this same thread.