TheTVDB.com

Online TV Database
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Design Our Logo / Slogan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:10 pm 
Site Admin

We decided a few months ago to completely redesign the database and website, and we've finally made progress on both. We now need two things to start polishing it off...

Design Our Logo
We've not had a proper logo before, but one is sorely needed for proper branding. Here are our requirements:
  1. Reflect one or more of the general concepts of the site: television, database, automation, openness, community
  2. Submissions must be a jpg, gif, or png no larger than 500x500px.
  3. Submissions should be posted to this thread by April 18, 2009.
  4. Once we decide on a submission, the designer must provide an Illustrator or Photoshop file with the logo, or a 1000x1000px gif, png, or uncompressed jpg.
Any work submitted becomes the property of TheTVDB.com and all future claims of copyright, licensing or compensation for use are null and void by sending us an idea/entry. Rules are subject to change without notice. Feel free to explain your design, but know that we'll judge it primarily on its design merits. Note that our current design idea would fit a landscape format (more wide than tall) logo better than a portrait one, but the design can be modified for whatever logo we select, so don't let that hinder your creative process. :) Please try placing the logo on a white background if at all possible.

Write Our Slogan
Our current slogan is "An open database for television fans", which frankly sucks. We'd like something more creative. Here are the requirements:
  1. Reflect one or more of the general concepts of the site: television, database, automation, openness, community.
  2. Submissions should be no more than 75 characters.
  3. Submissions should be posted to this thread by April 18, 2009.
Any work submitted becomes the property of TheTVDB.com and all future claims of copyright, licensing or compensation for use are null and void by sending us an idea/entry. Rules are subject to change without notice.

Rewards, You Say?
To reward people for coming up with ideas, we have some small prizes for any idea we select:
  1. Free access to any future premium services.
  2. Credit in the site footer and future "about us" page, including a link to the creator's website (if desired).
  3. Access to the site developers forum for ability to comment on site plans (and argue with Coco over my design ideas).
  4. First non-developer access to beta versions of new site.
  5. $25 Amazon.com gift card (logo contest only).
  6. Free myTV license (logo contest only).
Note that we are in no way obligated to select a submission from this contest. We may decide to design one ourselves if none of the submissions suit our tastes, but be assured that we will not create derivatives of any submitted designs without rewarding that artist. We'd rather ask you to modify your design to suit our tastes than do it ourselves anyway.

Hope we get some good submissions on this. Obviously the prizes aren't all that big, but hopefully they're enough to motivate the lazier designers into coming up with something. :)

EDIT: If developers of other software would like to sweeten the prize pot, please send me an email at scott@thetvdb.com, send me a PM on these forums, or post it in this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:29 pm 

Well, here is my submission. I actually did this design half a year ago, so I jumped to the opportunity when I saw this announcement. In any case, my approach was to create something that is iconic, clear in style, but with an interesting twist. For instance, the “db” can be seen as a pair of headphones, while also depicting openness. In any case, I feel this design makes a clear, fresh statement, and fits what TVDB is all about.P.S. As you can see, the first design features the actual logo design, the second is an implementation of it in an icon design.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:10 pm 
Former Moderator

Kinda funny, I was going to suggest this about a week ago. :D

Anyway, I didn't notice a submission limit in the rules. Are we allowed to submit multiple logos/slogans?
Cause I have about 6 ideas for a logo...and it's going to be hard if I have to choose just one. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:47 pm 
Former Moderator

So, I'm standing outside at work smoking a cigarette thinking about a retro logo design and for some reason, the "Shake-n-Bake" commercial popped into my head. So...here's a submission for the slogan:

"It's the Television Database, and YOU helped!"

Yeah!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:37 am 
Site Admin

Feel free to submit as many as you like. If you submit awful ones we'll just taunt you and show our friends and family. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:16 pm 
Former Moderator

So here's one I threw together last night. This has a couple variations on it, but the same main concept. I figured I'd show a little versatility with it.

Enjoy! :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:52 pm 

A couple of slogan ideas:

1. “If it’s on TV, it’s in the TVDB.”

This is inspired by the old slogan “If it’s on, it’s in.” from the Radio Times (a UK TV Guide).

2. "TV tamed."

3. "The TV database built by you."

That's all I've got for now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:09 pm 

conceived wrote:
Well, here is my submission. I actually did this design half a year ago, so I jumped to the opportunity when I saw this announcement. In any case, my approach was to create something that is iconic, clear in style, but with an interesting twist. For instance, the “db” can be seen as a pair of headphones, while also depicting openness. In any case, I feel this design makes a clear, fresh statement, and fits what TVDB is all about.P.S. As you can see, the first design features the actual logo design, the second is an implementation of it in an icon design.

ImageImage

Nice, but I see a nose where you see head phones, maybe it's just me though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

Same. I'd recommend doing a similar one but changing the shape slightly to look more like headphones. You might even want to add a light gray band across the top or even just simple cords from the bottom to get the look across, since it's not really showing right now.

Good submissions so far. I have a personal favorite already, but I'm hoping we get a handful more submissions by the deadline. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

In it's current form it reminds me of [an] Apple for some reason :) I'm not going to say more than that as the deadline isn't up and I wouldn't want to give anyone an unfair advantage ;)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next